I am re-posting my first post for those who are new to this
blog to see where I am coming from and what I want to accomplish with this blog
and weight loss. I have found that by
sharing it makes it easier and part of my problem has been and is that I feel I
am alone in regards to this subject matter.
I have also added a new part at the end since this was
originally posted in 2010 and a lot changes in a few years!
So here are MY
weighty Issues.
From January 2010:
So I
started this blog in 2009 to keep as a private journal in an attempt to track
my feelings, thoughts and progress as I lose weight. However as I encountered
my own continued frustrations with attempting to lose weight I never really
felt inspiration to blog, especially when there was no positive result. I am
actually a pretty introverted person and do not like opening up to too many
people, especially regarding something as personal as my weight. I have always
been embarrassed about it and a bit apprehensive to really talk about it. But that has all
changed now! I have lost 28 pounds since last August 2009 and want to
lose more by my 30th birthday on April 22. Because of this progress and the
encouragement to lose more I feel now, more than ever, it is important for me
to put myself out there as I attempt to lose weight.
Ever since I can remember I have struggled with my weight and have been trying to reach that point where I am both happy and healthy in regards to my weight. I have had many issues with my weight over the years and it has been a constant struggle. From lacking self-confidence because I was overweight and therefore having a lot of social awkwardness/anxiety which thus resulted in me being a loner throughout high school. To being thrown into a very social setting and losing over 75 pounds in less than a year because I ate very little my first year in college and lost it way too quickly that I was ill-equipped mentally to handle the sudden weight loss. To finally putting myself out there and developing the confidence in myself while also slowly putting the weight back on over many years. To now being happy with the person I have become but extremely unhappy with my weight and ready to make a permanent and HEALTHY change.
I have yet to find a balance with just being healthy in regards to my weight and happy with who I am. It may sound silly to people who have not had serious problems with their weight over a long period of time but it can be hard to get through the mental part of losing weight. When I had lost all my weight in college, I still unfortunately saw myself as the girl before I lost the weight. I was so use to seeing just the weight and “that” person who was overweight that I could not shake that image from my head. Looking back at pictures I realize how thin I was, but at the time I truly only saw the distorted image of a girl that I had seen my entire life.
Ever since I can remember I have struggled with my weight and have been trying to reach that point where I am both happy and healthy in regards to my weight. I have had many issues with my weight over the years and it has been a constant struggle. From lacking self-confidence because I was overweight and therefore having a lot of social awkwardness/anxiety which thus resulted in me being a loner throughout high school. To being thrown into a very social setting and losing over 75 pounds in less than a year because I ate very little my first year in college and lost it way too quickly that I was ill-equipped mentally to handle the sudden weight loss. To finally putting myself out there and developing the confidence in myself while also slowly putting the weight back on over many years. To now being happy with the person I have become but extremely unhappy with my weight and ready to make a permanent and HEALTHY change.
I have yet to find a balance with just being healthy in regards to my weight and happy with who I am. It may sound silly to people who have not had serious problems with their weight over a long period of time but it can be hard to get through the mental part of losing weight. When I had lost all my weight in college, I still unfortunately saw myself as the girl before I lost the weight. I was so use to seeing just the weight and “that” person who was overweight that I could not shake that image from my head. Looking back at pictures I realize how thin I was, but at the time I truly only saw the distorted image of a girl that I had seen my entire life.
During that time I also developed many unhealthy habits like just
not eating or eating the wrong foods. As I began to find out who I was and gain
more confidence through the support of my family and now husband I started
feeling more comfortable in my body and with people around me and started
socializing more and opening myself up to new relationships with people…however
I began to feel too comfortable. I was in a great relationship with T.,
graduated from college, had a job, had some new friendships in my life and as a
result started slacking in taking care of myself due to changes in my eating
habits and limited working out.
Now, as my 30th birthday approaches I know I need to make a change
for myself and focus on what is good for me and I feel that it is the best time
for me to make this permanent lifestyle change. I have an amazing husband, a
wonderful family, a fantastic sister, caring friends, a comfortable home, a
steady job but what is missing is a positive body image. I feel as I transition
into this new phase in my life, I really need to take the time
to become healthy in the truest form. T & I both need to eat better and work out even
if it is just a little bit every day. I don’t want to have problems that are
associated with being overweight for a long period of time, I also want to be
healthy when I get pregnant, and I want to be a role model for my kids in every
way possible. Now by no means do I think to be a good role model
means I need to be “thin”, infact that is the complete opposite of what I mean
as I feel a good role model is someone is comfortable with who they are, I just
feel no matter how much or how little weight I lose I want to be healthy and also feel better about
myself. I feel that I need to resolve any negative issues I have with my weight
& body image as I would hate to project any of that on my future children.
This mental “demon” has been following me around for way too long and I need to
get rid of it.
Enter…this blog.
Today April 1, 2013:
By the end of 2010 I was still working to lose weight and I had
managed to lose 55lbs over the year and keep it off. Then, January 2011 our lives would change forever
when I found out I was pregnant!! Weight
loss was put on hold and just making sure I didn’t gain too much weight during
the pregnancy was key. I gained about
25lbs during my pregnancy and ate well but did have some indulgences. Then within a couple months of having Henry most
of that weight had come off without changing my diet or working out….though not
exactly in all the areas I had hoped.
Hello jelly belly.
I pumped until about 7 months or so and during that time, while I
was pumping, I ate what I wanted and while I didn’t lose a lot of weight I
didn’t gain weight either. Continue bad habits. This was probably the worst thing for me,
because during both the pregnancy and while pumping my eating habits changed
and I got into bad habits, habits that I had tried to break previously. All of a sudden I wanted sweets every day,
which I never wanted before being pregnant.
I started snacking more. We were
eating later once Henry was born and not cooking as much and eating
take-out. I wasn’t working out at
all. And these habits that I had tried
to break in 2010 slowly started coming back over the next year and half. However, I didn’t gain much weight during the
pregnancy and none while breastfeeding….so I just didn’t think about it. I really didn’t think about much of anything
that had to do with myself and how I felt.
Of course I have tons of “excuses” for not taking care of myself
after Henry was born. “I didn’t have
time because Henry took up so much of my time.
T & I are on such different schedules that I am alone and can’t find
time to eat healthy and workout. We
can’t afford to eat healthy. I work
during the day. I had to pump.” Blah blah blah…. The only real excuse is that I had a rough
first year after Henry was born and didn’t focus on MYSELF at all and ignored
the signs that I may have some postpartum issues. Because of that I found comfort in food,
which is the worst thing you can do.
During this time I didn’t see myself as I was and saw this other
person. I think subconsciously I sabotage
my weight loss. It is weird because even
though I DO NOT want to be overweight, there is also comfort in it. Meaning, I have been that way nearly my
entire life. I am use to seeing my body
that way. I am use to thinking how
people see me and what they say about me due to being heavy. Sure, it may be all stuff I make up in my
head, but I have accepted it. I am not
use to being thin. I am not use to
seeing myself that way and whenever I do lose weight, even though I am proud of
it, I am also uncomfortable in my new, slimmer body.
Today my goal is to be healthy.
Plain and simple.
While I will track my progress, the end numbers will not be what determines success or failure.
And while Terry and I make sure Henry eats very healthfully and is active, I want my son to be healthy and active not because we make him but because
he is following my husband and my lead. I
do not want to project my own body image issues on him as he gets older, nor do
I want him to see me angry or avoid doing things because of the way I
look.
I want to be in pictures with my family and not avoid them because of the way I look, I want to run with him, I want to take
him to a water park and not sit on the side because I am embarrassed to be
seen, I want to climb on the jungle gym with him without worrying if I am too big,
I just want to be happy with the way I look and not even THINK about my weight.
I want to do this for him as well as for myself.
I have my motivation and what a motivation it is!!
So lets do this thang.....again.
Are you looking to get healthy? Please feel free to share!

I'm definitely back on the weight loss train. Cutting back on breastfeeding and still eating what I wanted shot my weight up 10# fast. I'm back down 9# but ultimately want to lose another 20# or so. Welcome back!
ReplyDelete